St Athanasius Pre-School is dedicated to providing a learning environment that centers around a hands-on curriculum. Themes are used throughout the year to introduce the alphabet, numbers, Bible stories, colors, and shapes. Nursery rhymes, fairy tales, art, science, field trips, and music and movement are also an extremely important part of the curriculum. The Pre-School also puts on a Spring Musical and Art Fair at the end of every year. A certified teacher and an assistant teach the pre-school. Both have many hours of training and experience in Early Childhood.
The requirements of Pre-School are that your child must be four years old by August first. Your child must also be potty trained. No exceptions are made regarding these.
Pre-School Concepts Taught
- Letter recognition and printing
- Numbers one thru twenty and counting
- Colors and shapes
- Calendar and weather skills
- Nursery rhymes and fairy tales and distinguishing reality from fantasy
- Rhyming words
- Recognition and printing of own name
- Art projects and activities that help teach concepts using a hands-on approach: painting, tear art, tissue paper, coloring, cutting, tracing, cooking, shaving cream, dry erase boards, playdough, water table (all senses are used to provide the best learning environment)
- Problem solving skills
- Sharing and taking turns
- Outdoor activities
- Science concepts-ex: the life cycle of a butterfly, apples, pumpkins, plants, etc.
- Music and movement and finger plays
- Oral communication
- Following directions
- Daily life and safety skills
- Religion and prayer in daily life
- Field trips
- Music program