Art instructions and demonstrations are usually presented one-on-one to the students. When projects are introduced to the entire class at one time, additional instructions and demonstrations are still available on an individual basis.
Starting in second grade, students who work slowly (but are not wasting their class time) may take most projects home in order to complete them in a timely matter. Additional assistance for all students is available most days between 7:30-7:50 a.m. and 2:25 – 2:45 p.m.
Art production is graded with a variety of objectives for each project. Art is ungraded in grades K – 3. Craftsmanship and following directions are always important elements of assessment. Even students who are not “gifted” artistically can produce successful artwork if they work neatly and follow instructions. Additional goals for art production include:
- The project is carefully planned and executed
- The elements and principles of design are appropriately applied
- The design problem is solved in a logical way
- There is evidence of original thought
- The work demonstrates an understanding of the relevant process and/or concept
- All important components of the task are completed
- Appropriate materials and techniques are utilized
- The work is completed within the specified time period
Junior high students work on cooperative projects that are graded in both Art and Computer. Each student receives a typed, detailed page of criteria and instructions after the project has been explained and discussed in class. Research is coordinated between the Art and Computer teachers and the Librarian. Rough drafts are reviewed by both teachers: corrections, suggestions and recommendations are made by both teachers. In Art, twenty percent of the final grade on the project is based on the students’ completing these corrections and recommendations. Plagiarism is not acceptable. Projects are to be written with correct grammar, spelling, and sentence and paragraph structure and in a logical manner.
- Be Nice
- Clean Up
- Follow Directions
- Bring Supplies